Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Victory Outreach Church of North Long Beach

OK - so each place I visit is wonderful and alive and full of God's Spirit. My newest discovery is Victory Outreach of North Long Beach pastored by Brian Apodaca and his wife Tillie. We (my daughter-in-law and I) were greeted by smiling friendly people who were evidently very glad to be where they were and - so were we. You could feel the delight of the people and the delight of the Father in His people. This is a group of people who God has truly rescued from a life of addictions and failures and has set their feet upon The Rock. I don't know if this is true of each member of the congregation, but that's the way Victory Outreach was founded by Sonny Argonzoni who was an ex-drug addict and gang member. His story was put down in the famous book, The Cross and the Switchblade, and Victory Outreach grew from his efforts with other people like him.
Pastor Brian Apodaca is one of those people. His spiritual parents were visiting and gave testimony to how many times they answered his (Brian's) calls from jail, streetcorners and other places he found himself in the midst of his addiction. They knew he had a call on his life and stayed with him until the Lord really had hold on him and set his feet on his ordained path. He said when he introduced them, "You all know me like this (in a suit and all cleaned up), but they knew me when I wasn't like this, and I want you to hear from them."
Pastor Brian then went on to preach a solid, foundational message on prayer and spending time with God in relationship. He cares for his congregation and the church has so much going on that wherever one is in life and however busy, there's something at this church to plug into and receive good fellowship, prayer and teaching as well as ways to serve.
And did I mention the worship!? Their joy and exuberance as well as their wonderful talents were alive and anyone with breathe in their body had to begin to move and join in worship to our King.
I highly recommend a visit. One thing we didn't know that would have been good....they have valet parking, so you can drive to the front and someone will park your car (which is such a good thing as there is no place to park!) and bring you your keys - with a huge smile!
Let me know what you think.....

No comments: