Saturday, June 21, 2008

AIDS Walk Long Beach

Lord have mercy...it was SO hot today!! I think that I overheard on the tv as I was passing by that we broke a record today. My goodness!

My family and I (all 6 of us!) walked the 5k this morning in order to raise money for the ongoing local fight against the HIV virus. Kingdom Causes has been a part of a collaborative effort here locally (plans are going public next month so stay tuned about how you can get involved - or better yet, email one of us and let us know you are interested now!) and we walked with one of the other collaborating organizations called Global Lifeworks.

Our team of about 45 folks was the #1 fundraising team with cash money of about 10k. They are still tallying up the results. Way to go team! You can check it out for yourself HERE.

It was actually a great event today. It was good to see so many of the folks that we have been dreaming and strategizing with in our monthly HIV/AIDS collaborative meetings. This is truly a collaborative effort and we are excited about how plans are coming together. We are hoping to have a launch meeting on the evening of Tuesday July 29th. If you are interested in learning about what Dr Becky Kuhn (A local HIV/AIDS physician and the leader of Global Lifeworks) calls "the most exciting collaborative project engaging this cause that she is aware of anywhere in the USA" consider joining us!

I also saw and said hi to a few other folks that I recognized - Lance Lefler and his family (including dog), a whole gang of folks from Project Long Beach (aka Rock Harbor Folks).

I did find myself wondering why the only people there at the end of the 5k to congratulate me were two flamboyant drag queens and not representatives of the Church of the City. What a great idea for next year! There I go thinking out loud again...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great comments Brad. It was fun seeing you & the family @ the event. Boy are your kids troopers.
Kristen