Tuesday, June 17, 2008

WOW Jam 2008

Wow Jam was on June 6 at Houghton Park (in North Long Beach) and on June 7 at Poly High School (Downtown Long Beach).  This is the second year WOW Jam has taken place in Long Beach.  The first year there was such a great turn out they decided to have two WOW Jams in Long Beach.  It was my first time being at and participating in a WOW Jam.  I was not sure of what to expect or how I felt about the WOW Jam.  There were 60 churches that participated in WOW Jam.  Many provided volunteers and donated to WOW Jam.  There were many people at the first WOW Jam, but even more people showed up to the WOW Jam at Poly.  I was very impressed by the free gifts they had at the booths like the educational toys and shoes.  I was very tempted to go to the Samaritans Feet booth where they washed people's feet and gave them a pair of shoes.  They had really nice shoes like Jack Parcels and Converses.  But I am glad the neighborhood was blessed by them.  KC also had a booth.  We asked people to draw or write what they would want to make better in their community.  Many kids came to our table and colored.  Then we posted them on a board to show the hopes and dreams of the community.  My favorite was drawn by Josue.  He loves to skate board and has awesome scar stories.  His said "less gang violence" and he drew a drive-by shooting.  He told me these happen a lot in his neighborhood.  It is amazing what kids today are exposed to.  

No comments: